Sunday, November 20, 2011

Special Assignment #1

Did Not Get the Metaphor...
picture of a traffic sign, used as a metaphor.

As defined at dictionary.com, a metaphor is a figure of speech in which a term of phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance. To me a metaphor is basically a figure of speech. A few metaphors that I have noticed lately are: "Spill the beans mister", "You are the apple of my eye, sweet pea", " Lets jump for joy and get this thing over with", "I'll believe you when the cows come". Metaphors are often used in everyday conversation and many times they are not noticed. As a future educator, I think it is important to teach students at an early age how to catch the metaphors. We must first teach them that a metaphor does not mean or portray its exact words. Once the students understand a metaphor's true meaning they will be able to view things from many different points of view. I often use metaphors just for a sense of humor or so others will easily understand my point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment