Monday, December 5, 2011

Blog Post #10



Do You Teach or Do You Educate?

In my opinion the video, Do You Teach or Do You Educate?, is eye opening and inspiring. I personally do not lean all the way toward being only and educator and not a teacher. In my opinion, one must teach in order to educate effectively.  The materials and skills one teaches and how they teach them, plays the role in whether or not a student is actually being educated. So I think the comparison should be between good and bad teachers instead of teaching verses educating. My definition of a bad teacher is one who feeds facts and no skills and does not deliver a  purpose for the information being feed. He or She only requires memorization and "burp back" of information and doesn't instill knowledge. A good teacher on the other hand, teaches information and gives purpose for the information being taught. Also, he or she teaches students how to be resourceful, challenge their thinking and creativity, and create morals within them.

As a future educator, I plan to teach my students many skills and instill in them the importance of setting goals and how to reach them. Also, I plan to instill in my students that with success comes failure. The only way one will learn how to be great at something is to know what it feels like to fail first.  You can't learn how to walk without falling down and getting back up.

"With discipline, hard work, and determination, all things are possible!!!!!"-KaShondra-

No comments:

Post a Comment