Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Special Metaphor Assignment (Blog Post #14)

     Okay when I first read and commented on this particular blog, Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home, apparently I really didn't get the true meaning of the metaphor. I commented something like this: 
   "This post was very inspiring. At first, after reading the post I thought " Okay how does taking pencils home lower test scores and what is Mr. Spencer trying to prove? After reading the post a second time and really understand the meaning behind the story, I was touched and thought this was very eye opening. All he was saying was focus on a creative and great solution and not worry so much of the problem here. Why does the child get noticed more for lower test scores instead of being encouraged , motivated, and taught better statigies and ways to improve his or her test scores?"


Adventures in Pencil Integration


       Now, after Dr. Strange explained to us the real meaning of the blog post, I can now see what was really being said. Dr. Strange explained that  Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home  was actually a metaphor and so was the title of the Blog post, Pencil Integration. Below are a few questions Dr. Strange asked us to complete as a learning process and understanding what went wrong in missing the actual metaphor.


1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
I myself am not usually the one to use many metaphors and think to hard when it comes to explaining or writing my insight of a parable. I guess it makes a lot of scenes to actually think outside the box.


2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?

  • Its raining cats and dogs!


3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
 As future educators, I think we can teach our kids how metaphors relate to things and specific situations in everyday life.  We should explain to them the importance of looking outside the box and not just looking for straight forward answers or phrases to just jump out.


4.Why do we use metaphors?
   I really do not know exactly why we use metaphors, but I would think they are used to break the ice a little. Just to put a little humor in any given situation.  A friend  of mine always tell me to make the best of any situation!!! So why not use metaphors to add a little spice to conversations!!!
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment